Thursday, April 7, 2011

Country Living

I love living in the country! Love it! These are my neighbors who live behind the orchard. I've always loved horses, and spent two summers working at a horse ranch, so this was a treat to be able to have horse so close! I keep bringing carrots to share, but the horses have been in another pasture.

I'm still working on tilling the garden (with a hoe), and cleared out the flower beds last week. It's easy to want to do 87 million projects here, but I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time. The vegetable garden is at the top of my list. When I was a kid I'd never had a garden, so this is a totally new experience. If you have kids you can plant a small garden in a small space (even start with indoor herb gardens or starts). There are tons of books, and online resources available to help you get started. Many communities have community gardens that you and your kids can participate in and enjoy.

It's good to spend time reading and educating yourself (and kids) about what it takes to have a garden. It's good physical work, and the bonus of growing your own food is amazing (so I'm told). The spring weather is starting here, although it's still cold at night. My new experience was hearing the wind machines that roar like helicopters to keep the new buds on the trees warm. Longer days, and sunshine are definitely motivators to get out and work on the garden (and once that's up and running...I'm on to getting ducks!!).

Enjoy where you are at! Coastal, country, and city living all have benefits! To learn to be content is where you are can be difficult, but it's amazing when you start seeing all the wonders around you!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your gardening adventures. I say adventures because that is what mine has been an adventure. Gardening can be rewarding and challenging all at the same time. But it is loads of fun learning. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoe for it!

    (Sorry) Glad to see you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in the country too but we are tucked up against the mountains and sitting at some degree of altitude. Our surroundings are somewhat alpine and sylvan so my teeny garden limps along. Gardening is always an adventure! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. more posts please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want more blog posts Ms. Jensen! ;) Nah I know you are busy...but seriously I check every week...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!